Canadian Sega Genesis: A Collecting Guide/Blog

In this thread I'm hoping to document differences between US and Canadian releases of the same game.

I intend to dedicate each post to a Canadian release or two, in alphabetical order.  I will provide pictures of all sides of the game and will provide a side-by-side with its US counterpart release. I will also highlight any distinguishing features of the game so that you can more easily spot each particular game as you are browsing eBay and may be working with limited photos.

So far I've identified 59 Canadian releases.  The below table lists the games, as well as what "style" of cover art each game has (for easy identification when browsing eBay listings), and any changes made to the Canadian cover (such as omiting text boxes on US versions).

#

Title

Canadian Cover Art Style

CAN Changes

After Burner II

No border

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

Same as US release

Alisia Dragoon

16-Bit Cartridge/Sega logo

Altered Beast

French text, Irwin logo

ENG/FR manual

Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf

Same as US release

Aryton Senna’s Super Monaco GP II

Batman Returns

No hologram

California Games

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

Chakan

Columns

No border, 16-Bit Cartridge

Cyberball

David Robinson’s Supreme Court

No NFL Films textbox

Decap Attack

Dick Tracy

Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun

Evander Holyfield’s Real Deal Boxing

ESWAT: City Under Siege

Fantasia

16 Bit Cartridge/Sega logo

Fatal Labyrinth

Flicky

Forgotten Worlds

Galaxy Force II

Ghostbusters

No border, no copyright text

Ghouls ‘N Ghosts

Same as US release

Golden Axe

Same as US release

Golden Axe II

Greendog the Beached Surfer Dude

Herzog Zwei

Same as US release

Home Alone

No “Holy Cow!”

Joe Montana Football

Joe Montana II Sports Talk Football

Kid Chameleon

No Levels/ Screens Splash

Last Battle

Same as US release

&

Comments

• In this second post, I will exhibit the (number) main cover types for Canadian releases, using pictures.  I will also type up some general observations I've made comparing all of the Canadian releases to their US counterparts.

A couple observations:

- US games often have text boxes and extra logos that are absent from the Canadian versions

- Some US releases have the UPC barcodes on the spine. Barcodes are not on the spines of any Canadian releases

- The colors on Canadian releases almost always seem sharper/brighter, and side-by-side I can see differences in the hues

- Canadian releases often lack "borders" around the cover art, and as a result more of the art is sometimes visible
  • 1) After Burner II

Left: US release; Right: Canadian release

The covers are quite similar, but the Canadian release does not have a border around the cover art.

The most apparent difference between US and Canadian releases is that Canadian releases often include several langauges, as After Burner II does.  In addition, the back of the Canadian release does not have a "1 Player" logo in the top right, and it is also missing the Sega of America information in the bottom left corner.

Canadian spine on top.  Could be sun-fading, but I dont' think so.

Canadian release on its own

2) Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

Slight difference in the font size/spacing

Minor difference in the arrangement of the spine text

3) Alisia Dragoon

The difference between the two releases is quite distinct and easy to spot.  Many Canadian releases added the "16-Bit Cartridge" along the bottom and the Sega logo in the bottom right corner.  These releases also do away with the border present on the US release.

Very different backs.  The Canadian version is multi-language, as usual.  The US release has its own "non-black box" back that is not present in Canadian releases.

Canadian release on top

4) Altered Beast

Altered Beast is the only Canadian release that uses the Irwin logo.  Apparently, from 1987, Irwin Toy Ltd. distributed games for the Sega Master System and continued distribution of Sega Genesis games until 1993, when Sega of Canada, a subsidiary of Sega of America, took over.

The front and back of the box contain text in both English and French.

You’ll also notice that the Canadian release uses the grid design, while the US release does not.  Also, interestingly enough, the Canadian release does not have a barcode of any sort.  Both the US and Canadian release were made in Taiwan.

The cartridge for the Canadian release is the same as the US cartridge, from what I can tell.

The instruction manual is dual-language, English and French.  The manual is opened from one side for French and the other side (flipped upside down) for English, something I didn’t realize until I started putting together this post.

The texture of the clear plastic on the clamshell case (of the Canadian version) is very smooth.  It does not have the bumpy texture that most black box games would have had. I think the US version is also smooth in a similar way, but I'm adding this comment absent from the games so I can't be certain.  Also, my Canadian Altered Beast does not have a hang-tab, but if I look very closely it appears that there might previously have been a hangtab and that it was cut off.  I am uncertain whether the Canadian release of Altered Beast is supposed to have a hang-tab or not - by comparison the US release comes in a clamshell that never had a hang-tab.  I can't confirm that it is the same for the Canadian release.

Next up is Aryton Senna’s Super Monaco GP II.
  • 5) Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf

6) Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II

You'll notice that the Canadian release features the SEGA logo in the bottom right corner as well as the text "16-Bit Cartridge" across the bottom. For the Canadian releases in this style, the SEGA logo makes them standout and easier to spot as you won't find this logo on cover of black box US releases.

The spines are pretty identical; the Genesis logo might be slightly large on the Canadian release [top].

I've commonly seen this SEGA sticker seal on European and Australian PAL Mega Drive releases. I believe some PAL games were sticker sealed instead of shrink-wrapped, but I am not certain. A number of the Canadian releases I have picked up have included this same sticker; however, in instances in which the original case I acquired the game with did not include a hangtab, I've swapped the cases out for cases with the hangtab, at the loss of the sticker.

A close up of just the Canadian release

Unlike the US release, the Canadian version does not have a "border" around the image.  The Canadian release uses the same image, but the image is stretched to the full size of the box and the Official SEGA Seal of Quality logo has been removed and is missing from the Canadian copy.

Like most Canadian releases that I will feature in coming posts, the back of the box includes the game synopsis in several different European languages. Screenshots are smaller and all aligned to the left-side.

The barcodes for Canadian Genesis games begin with 69044 whereas US releases begin with 10086.

Next up is Batman Returns.
  • 7) Batman Returns

imageimage

Now, the spines here are interesting. The barcode for the US release of Batman Returns is on the spine, which is an awful eyesore; however, for the Canadian release the barcode is not on the spine and is on the back of the box, which I greatly prefer. And as a bit of a "spoiler," looking at all of my Canadian releases, not a single on as a barcode on the spine.

Another small peculiarity, the "Batman Official Licensed Product" hologram is only on the US release of the game. The Canadian release does not have this hologram sticker.

And lastly, here's a shot of just the Canadian release on its own:

8) California Games

Canadian release on its own. I am missing the manual but should receive it soon.
  • 9) Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

Interesting spine difference here. Canadian release is on top. The "Starring Mickey Mouse" text is much smaller, as is the Sega Genesis logo.

Here is the Canadian release of Castle of Illusion, on all its own:

And lastly, here is a bit of a bonus. Pictured below is a rather interesting release of Castle of Illusion. Quackshot has a similar release and Kid Chameleon might as well. Coincidentally, Quackshot and Kid Chameleon also both have Canadian releases, so there may be a nexus to explain these odd mis-matched releases.

The box is a regular Genesis box - no European languages on the back, but the cart is a Mega Drive cart and the manual is the one used for PAL releases. I have seen this release discussed on a number of forums and I have seen it on eBay quite a few times. I've compared the box to my normal US release and there are a few differences.

Here are the backs of the "mis-matched release" [top] and the normal US release [buttom]

Here the two releases side-by-side:

Left: Mis-matched release; Right: US release

Looking at the two boxes, I see some very subtle differences. For the mismatched release the box art seems to be slightly larger with less border around the image. The Genesis logo on the spine [not pictured] also seems a tad larger. There may be differences, but for the most part, from the front, they aren't distinguishable.

Here is a comparison of the back covers:

The only real difference is the placement of the Sega of America address line. On the US release it is at the very bottom [right]. but on the mismatched release that line is between the third screenshot and the barcode.
  • 10) Chakan

Canadian release on top.  Notice how the US release has the UPC on the spine.  No Canadian releases have the UPC on the spine.

11) Columns

The Canadian release has the "16-Bit Cartridge" text, but the text it centered and the cover does not have the Sega logo in the corner

12) Cyberball

Note: My Canadian release is a little bit sunfaded

First thing you'll notice, the Canadian release actually gets the full box art. The main robot's shoulder is completely visible and we get to see more of the blue robot's back. Also, the font color for "Cyberball" is different. On the US release it is orange, but for the Canadian release it is red. Even with any sunfading, it is clear that the two used different font colors. I've checked images of the PAL release and, like the Canadian release, the font color is red.

I didn't notice until today, but covering some of the UPC on my US copy is a return address label for a previous owner from Minnesota, Kevin E. Nelson, haha.

Looking at the spines the difference is font color is unmistakeable. Canadian release on top in red and US release on the bottom in orange.

The cart for the Canadian release is just a standard US release cart. To my knowledge there is no Genesis cart with a red Cyberball cart label. You can see the contrast in color between the cart and the manual.

And lastly, on the spine of my Canadian release of Cyberball there are still the remains of one of those Sega stickers.

Next up is David Robinson's Supreme Court
  • RE: the Canadian Altered Beast. I'm curious if we got two different versions in Canada. I have the one you have which is presumably the pack in version since it lacks the barcode, but when I was younger I very vividly remember going to Toys R Us and getting a retail stand alone version of Altered Beast. I don't think they would issue a retail version without a barcode, unless we ended up just importing US versions and slapping a sticker over the wrapper or just used your barcode.
  • Originally posted by: wattswc

RE: the Canadian Altered Beast. I'm curious if we got two different versions in Canada. I have the one you have which is presumably the pack in version since it lacks the barcode, but when I was younger I very vividly remember going to Toys R Us and getting a retail stand alone version of Altered Beast. I don't think they would issue a retail version without a barcode, unless we ended up just importing US versions and slapping a sticker over the wrapper or just used your barcode.

Interesting point. A lot of mystery surrounds Altered Beast and its releases, particulary whether the game was ever sealed. I've never seen a sealed copy and the pack-in versions were not sealed. So I'm not really sure what the situation would have been like at retail (for US and Canadian releases).  It is possible there could be a second Canadian release that would include a barcode or as you mention maybe US releases of the game were sold in Canada, but more likely, I think a retail release of Canadian Altered Beast might have looked something like the following.  

Take a look at this sealed Canadian copy of NFL Sports Talk Football '93 Starring Joe Montana:

On the cellophane is a Sega of Canada sticker, but the barcode itself begins 10086, which is how the barcodes for US releases begin.  I bring this release up because it is a sticker barcode on a sealed Canadian game.  I went on to open that game and beneath the sticker is the normal Canadian UPC for the game, beginning with 69044.  The game also had a "SEGA" sticker seal underneath the cellophane, though I won't clutter this post with too many pictures.

Anyway, I imagine that at retail Altered Beast might have been something like that. Same release but with cellophane and a UPC sticker that could be rung up at registers.

Here, another sealed Canadian game (Joe Montana II) that has a different sticker barcode on top of the seal entirely:

http://i.imgur.com/Y3wPEXf.jpg

Nonetheless, I'll keep my eye out for a potential second Candian release of Altered Beast.
  • 13) David Robinson's Supreme Court

The differences between the US and Canadian release of this game are consistent with the kinds of differences we've seen displayed so far in this thread.

Canadian release on the top

Here's an individual shot of just the Canadian release

One major difference between the US and Canadian release is the below text block about an NFL Films Sports Videotape.  There are two US releases of David Robinson's Supreme Court, one with this textbox and one without.  I have not seen a Canadian release of the game that includes this textbox - to my knowledge no Canadian copies will have this textbox.

Next up: Decap Attack
  • That isn't correct about Supreme Court. There are both "NFL Films Offer" and Non-"NFL Films Offer" US variants. Same for Sports Talk Baseball. Oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be the same such variant for Sports Talk Football.
  • Originally posted by: SpaceFlea

That isn't correct about Supreme Court. There are both "NFL Films Offer" and Non-"NFL Films Offer" US variants. Same for Sports Talk Baseball. Oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be the same such variant for Sports Talk Football.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've revised the language for clarity.  You haven't seen a Canadian release that has the "NFL Films Offer" textbox, have you?

• Originally posted by: supergamboy

Originally posted by: SpaceFlea

That isn't correct about Supreme Court. There are both "NFL Films Offer" and Non-"NFL Films Offer" US variants. Same for Sports Talk Baseball. Oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be the same such variant for Sports Talk Football.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've revised the language for clarity.  You haven't seen a Canadian release that has the "NFL Films Offer" textbox, have you?

No.

• 14) Decap Attack

Canadian release on top

15) Dick Tracy

Canadian release on top

Dick Tracy pics courtesy of jkenned5 - thank you!
  • What I'm learning is the Canadian releases look a lot cooler than the NA ones. This thread is awesome; thanks for sharing and for the education!
  • Thanks, man! Whenever I make it to the "S" games, I've got some pretty interesting information on the Canadian releases (plural!) for Sonic the Hedgehog.

16) Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun

Canadian release on top

Pretty standard as far as Canadian releases go.

Next up is Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing
  • 17) Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing

Top: Canadian release. Notice how it doesn't have a barcode like the US release does

18) ESWAT: City Under Siege

• Nice topic !

Here is my current collection

Growing slowly as I have to pay 30 bucks of shipping every time I find one lol
  • Nice! Even though I own 34 Canadian releases right now, I'm missing 5 out of the 10 that you photographed! Of those 5 I'm missing, Super Monaco GP, Super Thunder Blade, and Tommy Lasorda Baseball are tough because the Canadian covers are identical to the US releases and since they're common/inexpensive games people might be less likely to list them individually. Thanks for the post, Maximiliano!
  • Actually, Tommy lasorda and thunder blade were in a bulk lot of genesis games I bought from ebay. Was more than happy to see them being canadian releases

I would like to put my hands on the console also, only have a picture of it

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/cyberguile/cyberguile012/_57 2_zpsnxkmqmuw.jpg

Wondering if they had any other packs ?
  • The first system image you posted (Model 1) is probably the best looking of the Canadian packaging for consoles, but as evidenced by your next post there are a few others. I'm pretty sure I've seen others beyond what you've posted, but documenting systems/bundles isn't my thing so I haven't saved any of the images I've seen.

19) Fantasia

I don't yet have the Canadian release to do a comparison

20) Fatal Labyrinth

Both releases use the same Fatal Labyrinth logo (with "shadows" behind the letters), but the shadow on the US release seems little more purple

Canadian release on top. For whatever reason the text on the US spine no longer has the "shadow" behind the letters

21) Flicky

Canadian release on top

Here is the Canadian release all on its own. 

Next up is Galaxy Force II
  • Nice to see someone carrying the torch on this stuff. I loved it before I fell out of the hobby.

I have some not yet shown in this thread:

Golden Axe

Shadow Dancer

Sports Talk Football 93

Columns

Greendog (This has a green SEGA sticker on the calmshell opening, not a blue one like usual CDN and EU releases)

Arnold Palmer Golf

Super Monaco GP

I'm selling them all, along with

Evander Holyfield Boxing

Decap Attack

Batman Returns

Altered Beast (Pack in version).

If anyone is looking to save on shipping and get these in a set, let me know  

It's also worth noting that my Bloodlines (bought in Canada) has a legit looking UPC sticker over the main UPC on the artwork. The number is 75491 00300.
  • Fantastic! I've sent you a PM as I need three of those, which will bring my total number of Canadian releases to 46 out of 59 known releases.

Thanks for bumping this thread up, I've been lax in these posts since there wasn't much response. I'll have to start it up again, especially as I've picked up a handful more releases (and gotten the manual for that Flicky)
  • Here's a Canadian Flicky CIB for $94.16 shipped, which is too much, so maybe make an offer if you're interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-GENESIS-FLICKY-100-complete-original-color-MANUAL-UBER-RARE-box-CIB-/291873450563?hash=item43f5036a43:g:Y2MAAOSwTZ1XnSKR
  • Yeah, I'd value Flicky at about $40. As for me, I'm down to 9 more Canadian releases that I need. I'll have to post more in this thread soon!

[EDIT]: Oh, lol, that seller.  He listed it about 2 months ago and was trumping up how uber rare it was because it had a color manual and this and that and to message him if you've ever seen one. He was asking a few thousand or something, and I messaged him and was like yeah its a Canadian version and its worth about $35 to $40 and linked him to a completed sale. He never responded but continued to tout how amazing the item was.  I messaged him one time further also with no response. Just hope no one uninformed buys it - at least the seller has modified his description slightly
  • I don't know if anyone is actively collecting CAN games, but here's an Ayrton Senna Super Monaco GP II box and manual for $10.42 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-GENESIS-Super-Monaco-GP-II-BOX-INSTRUCTION-ONLY-SUPER-GREAT-CONDITION-/252619799919?hash=item3ad1503d6f:g:h5AAAOSwcLxYHAeK
  • Nice, I hope others start collecting a little bit from this set. I'm down to six more needed out of the 59 I've identified. I'll have to start posting pictures again soon (which I'm sure I keep saying)

If anyone has them, the last six I need are:

1) Dick Tracy

2) Fantasia

3) Fatal Labyrinth

4) Last Battle

5) Phantasy Star III

6) Talespin
  • 22) Forgotten Worlds

The covers appear nearly identical, but for the Canadian release the colors look sharper/brighter.

There appears to be a small difference in the "SEGA" logos, but its quite minor.

And lastly, here's a shot of just the Canadian release on its own:

23) Galaxy Force II

The Canadian release has a few of the obvious major indicators (SEGA logo, no Official Sega Seal, no borders)

The backs are quite different.

Back of the US release.  The US release hypes up the game more and makes more of a sales pitch.

For the Canadian release, the same text needs to be repeated in a few different languages, so its more brief, but takes a different approach.

The US release has more space on the back of the box, but it instead includes those kind of story details in the instruction manual.

Pretty similar spines

• 24) Ghostbusters

The cover art for the US release includes a large block of text about trademark and copyright information that is absent from the Canadian release

The backs of the covers have the standard differences.

Here is the back of the US release.

By comparison, you can specifically see the lines that were cut out to create the abbreviated game summary.

Canadian spine on top